Are you ready to put your sports knowledge to the ultimate test?
From iconic moments to legendary players, our compilation of 70 sports quiz questions and answers promises to challenge even the most seasoned sports aficionados.
Whether you’re a casual fan or a trivia titan, lace up those thinking cleats and dive into a thrilling contest of wits and memories. Game on!
Sports Questions: Round 1
1. Which football team has the nickname ‘the Biscuitmen’?
2. What was remarkable about Olympic marathon winner Abebe Bikila?
3. Who won the Wimbledon singles title on his first and only attempt?
4. In which sports do participants compete for Doggett’s Coat and Badge?
5. Who became the youngest world heavyweight champion?
6. In which sport is ‘laundry’ a technical term?
7. What number does the bingo call ‘two fat ladies’ refer to?
8. Which British driver finished third in his very first Formula One race in 2007?
9. Who, in 2006, emulated her mother by winning the BBC Sports Personality of the Year award?
10. What colour is the centre of the target in archery?
Sports Quiz Questions: Round 2
11. Where were the 2004 Summer Olympics held?
12. Which British Formula One champion also has a world championship-winning father?
13. What internationally played board game was invented by Alfred Butts in 1921?
14. What was the name of the schoolboy who in 1823 invented rugby when he picked up the ball and ran with it?
15. Modern winners in the Olympic Games receive gold medals, but what did they receive in classical times?
16. Cricket has never been an Olympic sport – true or false?
17. Which modern sport was first marketed under the name Sphairistike?
18. Which major baseball star moved from the New York Yankees to the Boston Red Rox in 1921?
19. Who was the first black footballer to captain England?
20. What was unusual about the Austrian tennis player Hans Redl, who played at Wimbledon from 1947 to 1956?
Sports Movies: Round 3
Identify the sports and games that feature in the films listed below:
21. Rush – 2013
22. Moneyball – 2011
23. Seabiscuit – 2003
24. Cinderella Man – 2005
25. Cool Runnings – 1993
26. Kingpin – 1996
27. The Legend of Bagger Vance – 2000
28. Invictus – 2009
29. Slap Shot – 1977
30. The Color of Money – 1986
31. Which country has ice hockey as its national sport?
32. Alongside the British Open, US Open and US Masters, which other tournament makes up golf’s Grand Slam?
33. How heavy does a professional heavyweight boxer have to be – 86 kilograms, 96 kilograms or 106 kilograms?
34. In Monopoly, what colour is the Strand?
35. Which two sporting pursuits does the biathlon combine?
36. Which construction toy was invented by Frank Hornby in 1900?
37. How many penalty points does a show jumper get if he or she falls off the horse?
38. Who lost to Virginia Wade in the 1977 women’s singles final?
39. In which sport are a foil and an epee used?
40. By what royal nickname was German footballer Franz Beckenbauer known?
41. In which sport you might use a niblick?
42. Who enjoyed Olympic success on Goodwill?
43. Which England cricketer and Arsenal footballer appeared in advertisements for Brylcreem?
44. Who, in 1995, scored the first official maximum break in snooker?
45. Which Olympic gymnast recorded a perfect score in 1976?
46. In which year was there no winner of the Grand National?
47. How many Formula One world championships did Stirling Moss win?
48. In which century was the jigsaw puzzle invented – the seventeenth century, the eighteenth century or the nineteenth century?
49. What is the maximum score in a ten-pin bowling game?
50. How long does an American football match last?
51. In football, who holds the record for the most England caps?
52. Who directed the film Chariots of Fire?
53. Which British golfer was the first to win the US Masters?
54. Who captained the England cricket team when it suffered a five-nil whitewash against Australia in 2006, its worst defeat in the Ashes since 1921?
55. In 1983, which Second Division football team decided to sell all its players?
56. Which World Heavyweight boxing champion is believed to have died from a heroin overdose in 1970?
57. Which country has hosted the modern Summer Olympics the most times?
58. In which athletic event does Ashia Hansen specialise?
59. Which batsman retired with a record test average of 99.4 runs?
60. Which motor-racing circuit has been home to the British Formula One Grand Prix since 1987?
Sports Movies Quiz: Round 7
Another round of Identifying the sports and games that feature in the films listed below.
61. Pumping Iron – 1977
62. Any Given Sunday – 1999
63. Match Point – 2005
64. Rounders – 1998
65. Fire in Babylon – 2010
66. Big Wednesday – 1978
67. The Luzhin Defence – 2000
68. Dogtown and Z Boys’ – 2001
69. Breaking Away – 1979
70. The Sporting Life – 1963
You might also enjoy Football Quiz Questions